Skip to main content

Through Gatsby's Eyes

In this fanfiction, I am retelling the events at the beginning of chapter 8 through Gatsby's perspective.


I waited in Daisy's bush for most of the night. Is it wrong to say that I wish something had happened to her? I wanted the big "superhero" moment when I came to save her, but at 4:00 she turned off her light and didn't turn it on again. I went home and rested on the table in my hallway, tired and dejected. Nick showed up just a little while later when he insisted on sitting in the drawing room with the French windows open.

It was then that I told him about my true past. My unpleasant, embarrassing history. I don't know why I felt like talking - maybe it was the tiredness - but I couldn't stop. Nick has always been a great listener, and I am eternally grateful for him. I tell him about my relationship with Daisy, Dan Cody, the war, and everything else. 

By the time I finished, it was dawn and we began opening all the other windows in the house, turning the house gold. As we worked, I started thinking more and more about Daisy.

"I don't think she ever loved him," I said suddenly. "You must remember, old sport, she was very excited this afternoon. He told her those things in a way that frightened her - that made it look as if I was some kind of cheap sharper. And the result was she hardly knew what she was saying."

I sat down, overcome with sorrow. Even if she did love him, she always loved me more, right?

At 9:00, Nick and I sat on the porch when I was informed by the gardener that they were going to drain my pool today. I suddenly realized that I hadn't used my pool all summer. I've been busy with the parties, and then of course, with Daisy. I let him know he could do it on a different day - I had the sudden urge to go swimming later today.

Eventually, Nick had to go to work, and I was once again, left alone in my mansion.

Comments

  1. I wish this book was told through this perspective. Nick's narrating doesn't compare as he's too hypocritical and makes it hard to read. I love that you kept the essence of Gatsby alive like his speech saying "old sport" and how you incorporated it into something unique.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought this was a very cool idea. I like how you included the “turning the house gold” keeping it close to the actual story and even alluding to important symbols.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how you told the story from Gatsby's perspective. I thought this was a really nice idea.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment